Ekong Udoekwere is a corporate lawyer who advises businesses in connection with M&A, venture capital finance and joint venture transactions. Ekong works with companies ranging through all stages of growth, with a particular focus on small to mid-sized companies. He represents both public and private companies with diverse capital structures across a broad array of industries.
Ekong’s experience in mergers and acquisitions is significant. His work includes transactions involving representation and warranty insurance, no-indemnity deals, and auction-style acquisitions and sales. When advising startup companies, Ekong counsels on matters related to structuring, formation, financing, general operational matters and various other legal needs that arise through the stages of their growth. His practice also includes:
- Corporate governance matters (focusing on counseling directors, officers and other business fiduciaries on their fiduciary obligations under applicable law)
- Employment matters including representation of executives in connection with negotiation of executive compensation packages
- Start-up formation and organization
- General corporate and business matters including advising business owners on a range of routine and non-routine commercial matters
- Representation of a music licensing company in connection with a $45 million auction-style sale to a NASDAQ-listed public company with approximately $8 billion in revenues.
- Representation of a technology company in connection with a $90 million sale to NASDAQ-listed public company with approximately $6 billion in revenues.
- Representation of a construction equipment and services company in connection with $96 million auction-style sale to private equity fund with cash assets under management of approximately $200,000,000.
- Representation of co-lead investor in $65 million Series D preferred stock financing round of pre-IPO private company.
- Representation of a public company in connection with all stock acquisition of smaller agricultural business competitor.
- Representation of co-venturers in connection with formation and organization of medical technology private company. Continuing representation in connection with early-stage company matters.
- Formation and $25 million private financing of joint venture to operate music and arts festival in Cayman Islands.
- Taught courses in corporate and transactional law in the UCLA Extension Program.
News & Articles
- Author, “California’s Revised LLC Statute . . .” Client Advisory (January 2014)
- “California’s Revised LLC Statute . . .” Client Advisory (January 2014).
- Author, “Bridging the (Working Capital) Gap,” Business Law News, State Bar of California (Issue 3, 2009).
- “Antitrust and Intellectual Property (A Review of Free the Market!),” Daily Journal (April 17, 2009).
Community & Professional Involvement
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Named a “Rising Star” in Mergers & Acquisitions by Southern California Super Lawyers (2014).
Prior Work Experience
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Troy Gould PC